Our backyard photo journal - a collection of pictures of Skippy and the plants and flowers in our backyard. Also pictures from Skippy's walks & stories of his therapy work. Skippy is working hard at learning to be a Therapy Dog.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Partridge pea

I've never seen this wildflower before. Partridge pea (Chamaecrista fasciculata). Skippy and I came across a big patch of it. Flowers and foliage are very delicate. It’s in the pea family (Fabaceae) and is native to the eastern U.S. I read that it is a major source of food for quail and the northern bobwhite. I wonder what part of it they eat? Wait - I bet it makes peas. I'll have to watch for them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have been watching partridge peas since last fall you know by now that it does in fact make peas. When I was growing up in the North Carolina foothills the overgrown fields end woods edges was grew full of Partridge peas. There was also an abundance of quail. I don't suspect that partridge peas and bushhogs work well together. Randy

2:45 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

I did notice the peas! There were lots of them on these plants later in the year. I don't think anything ate them here in suburbia though.

11:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home