Our backyard photo journal - a collection of pictures of Skippy and the plants and flowers in our backyard. Also pictures from Skippy's walks & stories of his therapy work. Skippy is working hard at learning to be a Therapy Dog.

Friday, August 18, 2006

Late summer wildflowers

The goldenrod (Solidago virgaurea) I recognise, but the other two I don't. I'll try to identify them soon (help is appreciated!).

I just read that the yellow of goldenrod in the field is a sure sign that the first frosts of winter are not long away. Sigh. I'm sad to leave summer behind. Our weather is still warm, but I do notice that the sunlight gets a little shorter everyday.

Added August 27: Thanks for the help in identifying evening primrose (Oenothera lamarckiana)(upper right), a native American wildflower with lemon yellow flowers that open in late afternoon and fade before morning. Usually on a sunny day they are faded when I walk by (as most are in the photo). Today was a rainy dark day and I noticed the blooms were open and beautiful! The spikes are 5-6 feet tall and make a lovely golden meadow mixed with goldenrod and rudbeckia.

1 Comments:

Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Is the yellow one an evening primrose? Do the flowers close during the day? Does it have a nice scent?

11:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home