Our backyard photo journal - a collection of pictures of Skippy and the plants and flowers in our backyard. Also pictures from Skippy's walks & stories of his therapy work. Skippy is working hard at learning to be a Therapy Dog.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Horsenettle: tomato family

I came across this plant that I'm unfamiliar with. It is growing wild - a big clump of it in a shady area where Skippy and I walked today. The flowers are quite tomato-like, but bright white. It started blooming about a week ago. Leaves have thorns. Does anyone know what this is?
I found it - its horsenettle (Solanum carolinense fo. albiflorum), a native perennial wildflower in the tomato family that is toxic as well as having nasty thorns. It makes little yellow-orange tomato-like berries that are very poisonous. I will watch for these.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home