Our backyard photo journal - a collection of pictures of Skippy and the plants and flowers in our backyard. Also pictures from Skippy's walks & stories of his therapy work. Skippy is working hard at learning to be a Therapy Dog.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

white-crowned sparrows return

white-crowned sparrow white-crowned sparrow
I was glad to see the white-crowned sparrows in my backyard this morning. They leave every fall and return every the spring. One of those signs that better weather is one the way. (Not tomorrow, but maybe soon.)

Note: These birds are actually white-throated sparrows.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

I know these as White-Throated Sparrows. Their heads remind me of chipmunks. The head coloration is variable here, sometimes barely noticeable, soemtimes strong like your little guys.

10:41 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Well, that comment made me look into the name. But I've never noticed a white throat on my sparrows. I think they are maybe different from your white throated sparrows. But my photo on the left does look like it has a white throat, so I will need to look at the birds carefully next time I see them. I really don't think they have white throats.

1:14 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

OK. My mom says these are white-throated sparrows and I can't argue with her. Especially as I listen to them outside saying something about Sam Peabody, Peabody, Peabody. And I looked up white crowned sparrows and they don't spend summers in Massachusetts.

Thanks for the correct ID, Xris.

4:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home