Our backyard photo journal - a collection of pictures of Skippy and the plants and flowers in our backyard. Also pictures from Skippy's walks & stories of his therapy work. Skippy is working hard at learning to be a Therapy Dog.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Orchids moved indoors

Our nights have cooled off and are regularly below 50, so last weekend I moved all my orchids indoors. I have a big metal plant stand that I collected all my orchids onto. I put the stand in a sunny south-facing window. Its next to my fish tank, so it can share their light and humidity. The orchids have done well outdoors over the summer (though only one of about 4 dendrobiums bloomed). The winter is the difficult season for them. They are on the edge of drying out all season. I am not good at remembering to water/mist. I am hoping a few cattleyas will bloom. I have one that always blooms, some that used to bloom but haven't recently, and some that I've never seen bloom. I will have to remember to fertilize them again soon. Though orchids should be fertilized weakly weekly, I rarely remember to fertilize - maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Well, I've also heard that orchids prefer neglect to overcare. Still outdoors are my ficus and citrus trees and my Christmas cactus. They'll come in when we get frost warnings. I think the cold air is good at removing any bugs that were on them.

orchid

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home