Our backyard photo journal - a collection of pictures of Skippy and the plants and flowers in our backyard. Also pictures from Skippy's walks & stories of his therapy work. Skippy is working hard at learning to be a Therapy Dog.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Milkweed seeds



The seedpods of common milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) have opened and their silky seed parachutes are escaping. I am hoping to collect and grow some of these in my garden next year. I already have some Joe Pye weed and tansy seeds to grow with them.

wildflower

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Cool picture! Check them out a bit online before you plant seeds... I think I remember reading that the similar-looking a. incarnata was a much better garden plant that a. syriaca because the latter tends to be thuggish in a garden setting. (It could have been the other way around, though--I didn't end up with a place for either since they're so tall, so I opted for a. tuberosa instead.)

9:41 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Thanks. I'll look into the varieties. I'm also still figuring out where to put a wildflower garden, as I don't want it to take over the perennials. Maybe a separate area is best.

8:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home