Our backyard photo journal - a collection of pictures of Skippy and the plants and flowers in our backyard. Also pictures from Skippy's walks & stories of his therapy work. Skippy is working hard at learning to be a Therapy Dog.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

American chestnuts at Baldpate pond

american chestnut leaves
young american chestnut tree Baldbate pond
white pine in the rain white oak leaves
Skippy and I walked in the wet woods at Baldpate Pond in Boxford/Georgetown yesterday. Raindrops always make the leaves look lovely. We ended up quite soggy and had to run for cover from the lighting. I was particularly interested in the numerous American chestnut saplings growing around the pond. I didn't see any substantial trees, but the young growth is still lovely. I've never noticed an American chestnut before in the Northeast. I'll have to check for larger, fruiting trees next time I go back as MassChestnut likes to locate 10 new trees each year to pollinate. "Once there were 4 billion trees. Then came the blight..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home