Our backyard photo journal - a collection of pictures of Skippy and the plants and flowers in our backyard. Also pictures from Skippy's walks & stories of his therapy work. Skippy is working hard at learning to be a Therapy Dog.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Skippy's tricks

tricks0001
Skippy is not able to go on therapy dog visits for a couple of weeks, so we have been practicing his introduction routine. Usually the therapy visit will include about 20-30 residents of a nursing home sitting around the edge of a room in a large circle. The 3-6 dogs visiting will each, one at a time, have a 2-3 minute introduction. Skippy and I go to the middle of the circle and Skippy sits while I tell a little about him (name, age, breed). Then he'll "say hello" (woof!)(he's really good at this and will often follow up with "say more": Wooof!). Then he will shake hands ("paw") and do a great 2-pawed high-five. He is working on "sit pretty", for which he usually needs my help in holding up his paws. This week I am planning to start teaching him another trick, maybe roll-over. I'd also like to work on having Skippy follow me at a "heel" as I walk around in the circle at the beginning of the introduction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home