Our backyard photo journal - a collection of pictures of Skippy and the plants and flowers in our backyard. Also pictures from Skippy's walks & stories of his therapy work. Skippy is working hard at learning to be a Therapy Dog.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

bad news about that squirrel

This morning I found a squirrel dead in my yard. I feel really bad about it. There are millions of little holes in the gardens where he had been digging and eating bulbs. I think some bulbs are poisonous. Or maybe he just ate too much. I thought a squirrel would have a natural instinct to know what he could eat. No signs of a predator. I'll wait and see if he comes to later. Poor squirrel.

Added later: I'm wondering if the bulbs could really have killed the squirrel. My Dad says his family used to eat bulbs in Holland during the German occupation. They ground them up and made a meal or a flour paste from them and then fried it like a pancake. He says they ate crocus corms and tulip bulbs. But from what I read on-line, most bulbs are posoinous. The worst seem to be daffodils and hyacinths. Maybe the spring crocus are not poisonous. Tulips are listed on most sites as poisonous, but my Dad is sure he used to eat these. Amazing. Well, it sounds like it could have been the hyacinth bulbs that killed the squirrel. I'll make sure Skippy doesn't dig out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home